Understanding Post-Separation Support
Financial support following a divorce in Maryland can come in many forms. Post-separation support in Maryland is a type of temporary alimony that essentially is paid until a set time or other circumstance is met.
Qualifying for Post-Separation Support
To qualify or obtain post-separation support in Maryland, the two parties must meet the following circumstances:
- Both parties were married, lawfully.
- Dependent spouse is the one seeking post-separation support
- Supporting spouse is the party post-separation support is being sought against
- Dependent spouse isn’t able to meet their financial needs
- Supporting spouse is able to pay the post-separation support.
How is Post-Separation Support Decided?
A court will make their determination for post-separation support in Maryland based on several factors. Ultimately, the purpose of the Maryland post-separation support is so neither spouse is put in any financial harm or burden following a divorce. The amount and length of time the Maryland post-separation support which is granted will depend on a combination of factors including, but not limited to:
- Length of marriage
- Financial needs of either party
- Standard of living either party has become accustomed to
- Either party’s current recurring earnings from any source
- Either party’s ability to produce income
- Any separate or marital debt or obligations
- Reasonable expenses
- Legal obligations to support other people
Post-Separation Support in Maryland
Each and every state has different laws concerning how they govern and handle certain aspects of divorce and family law. Post-separation support in Maryland is more commonly referred to as alimony and broken down by a few different types of alimony. Alimony and post-separation support are, in effect, the same legal concepts.
Why Choose Us as Your Maryland Divorce Lawyer?
When it comes to selecting a Maryland divorce lawyer for your case, consider Alan L. Billian, P.A.. Alan is a committed family law attorney who works diligently on your behalf to get you the best possible outcome for your case. Alan L Billian has worked on family law cases since 1991 and brings with him extensive experience which your case will benefit from.
For more information on post-separation support in Maryland, give Alan L. Billian, P.A. a call today at 410-889-5500 for fill out this form for a free consultation!
“I must make it known, that if he was not the man that he is, were it not for his excellent skills as a lawyer, attorney at Law, Counselor – at law all rolled into one, life as I know it today, would not be one of serenity; but one of emotional anguish, mental stress, and a financial strain that would be unbearable to say the least.”
-William J., Baltimore, MD