Maryland Visitation Rights and Access Schedules
Whether you’re looking for help with establishing visitation or want to modify an existing access schedule, Alan L. Billian, P.A. can help. We have over 27 years of experience in child custody cases and can help you and your child obtain the best possible outcome for your unique situation.
When is a Child Visitation Schedule Established?
Visitation arrangements are commonly crafted during the child custody proceedings. Most of the time, both parties agree upon the visitation schedule and it is set that way. Other times, when couples can’t come to an agreement, the courts will decide on an appropriate schedule for visitation.
What Circumstances Affect Visitation Schedules
Your visitation schedule will be largely dependent on the circumstances of your case. And when children are involved, many different aspects of the entire equation will be evaluated by the courts to determine what is best for the kid(s), including:
- What type of custody do you have?
- What was the cause of the divorce?
- Was there violence or abuse in the home?
- Where are both parents living in proximity to schools?
- Where are both parents living in proximity to kid(s) extracurricular activities (friends, sports, etc…)
- The child’s preference (if the child is old enough)
- And much more…
Needless to say, if you’re facing a difficult separation and know child custody and visitation will be a hot issue, it makes sense to consult with a lawyer. Working with a trained Maryland child custody lawyer will provide you with the best possible outcome for your situation as they know the ins and outs of this area of law.
Types of Child Visitation
When it comes to child visitation, there are many different forms. Throughout your proceedings, you may hear some of the following terms related to your Maryland child custody case.
- Fixed Visitation — When the courts establish a set visitation schedule for you and your spouse.
- Reasonable Visitation — When the courts can see you and your spouse are willing to work together and can come to an agreement, they will let you establish a “reasonable visitation” schedule together.
- Unsupervised Visitation — When the non-custodial parent doesn’t need to have another parent around when they spend time with their child.
- Supervised Visitation — Any time the non-custodial parents spends with the child, there must be another adult present.
Grandparent Visitation Rights in Maryland
Grandparents for both the custodial and non-custodial parents do have some rights in Maryland. While Maryland’s statutes only briefly mention the grandparent’s rights, it does give courts the authority to grant “reasonable visitation” to grandparents. As with everything involved family law, there are many factors at play. Here’s a more in-depth explanation on grandparent visitation rights in Maryland.
Child Relocation Process
Sometimes, a parent with primary custody over children can decide to move. Usually, the move isn’t too far and therefore there’s not a lot of issue with this relocation. In other instances, the parent could try for relocation to another state or even country. Under Maryland child custody law, this type of move is permitted. As with most aspects of child custody law, the main concern is what will be in the best interest of the child.
Consult with a Maryland Child Custody Lawyer
If you’re presented with a divorce involving children, it’s best to find a child custody attorney in Maryland you can trust early on in the process. They will be able to help you understand the process of divorce as well as help you obtain the best possible outcome for your children and yourself.
Alan L. Billian, P.A. has over 27 years of experience exclusively in this area of law and knows the ins and outs of family law. For more information, give us a call today at 410-889-5500.
“Mr. Billian represented my son in an EXTREMELY difficult divorce and custody case a few years ago. We were more than pleased with his knowledge, professionalism, and expertise in handling my son's case. His conduct in the courtroom was beyond reproach. We were thrilled, not only with the result, but with Mr. Billian's expert representation. My family and I highly recommend Mr. Billian!”