Dealing with an Ex that Doesn’t Follow the Agreement

Providing Personal, Professional Legal Services

Co-parenting with an ex is not always easy, but it’s certainly more difficult when your ex refuses to comply with a custody agreement. A custody agreement is a legally binding agreement that must be followed by both parties. If one spouse doesn’t comply, it’s up to the other to decide the appropriate next steps. Here are some of your options. 

Talk With Your Ex

The first thing you should do if your ex isn’t abiding by the custody agreement is to talk to them. Talking to them is the best way to get an understanding of what they’re thinking. Maybe they’re in the process of following the custody agreement, or maybe they have other things going on that don’t allow them to follow the agreement at this moment. Either way, talking to your ex-partner should be the first step.


Have an Attorney Send Your Ex a Letter

If your ex still refuses to comply with the agreement, it’s time to enlist the help of a MD family law attorney. They can help draft and send a letter to your ex that details how they have violated the custody agreement and the possible consequences if they continue. A letter from an attorney can go a long way, and your ex may take your complaints more seriously since they know that you know your rights and are prepared to take legal action if necessary.


Attend Mediation

Mediation allows you and your ex to work out your issues without having to go to court. At mediation, you and your ex will meet with a mediator, who will be a neutral party hired to guide negotiations and help you two come up with a resolution. With mediation, you can attend with or without a lawyer. An attorney can help advise you of your rights and consult you on the pros and cons of a new agreement. If you and your ex can come to an agreement during mediation, you can submit a new written agreement to the court.


File a Contempt Action

If you and your ex have a custody agreement that is part of a court order and it is not being followed, you can file for a contempt of court. A contempt action is what you file to tell the court that your ex is not following the court-ordered custody agreement. If the court found that your ex has willingly and knowingly violated the agreement, a judge can order several actions depending on the circumstances. 


Let a Maryland Child Custody Lawyer Help

When you’re dealing with a non-compliant ex, turn to Alan L. Billian, P.A. He has over 30 years of dedicated experience in family law and can help you get the best outcome. Contact us today for a FREE 30-minute consultation.

Fill out the form below to schedule a consultation.

We are pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with us through this website regarding a matter for which our firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to anyone at our law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

By continuing to fill out the form below you are deemed to have agreed to these terms and conditions.


"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.